Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ah, period films...

Now, I'm a sucker for period films. Anything involving nobility, tyrannical kings, gambling queens, you know the usual, I love it.
One, as of late, has become my most recent favorite (not of all time however), starring Keira Knightley (my definite favorite) as The Duchess.



She is the ideal choice for any period film, so that must be why we've seen her in numerous roles such as : Princess of Thieves(2001), Pirates of the Caribbean(2003, '06, '07), King Arthur (2004), Pride and Prejudice(2005), Atonement(2007), The Duchess(2008), and finally King Lear(coming out 2010). She plays the elegant lady we all wish we were.



It seems as if Shakespeare's Juliet is the only prominent role left for her to perfect. And it so happens that in 2004, the Royal Shakespeare Company of Stratford, England, held a poll asking movie viewers to vote for the actor and actress they would love to see play Romeo and Juliet. It was no surprise that the winners were Knightley and James Marsters(P.S. I Love You). Had I been included in this vote, I definitely would've preferred someone more suited to Keira such as her former costars, James McAvoy and Matthew McFadden.



More than 2,000 people voted for more than 150 different actors for both roles. Keira triumphed over Kate Winslet, Nicole Kidman, Scarlett Johansson, and Juliet Landau in the vote. Knightley said, "I am absolutely thrilled to have come top of the poll, particularly as Juliet is a role I would very much love to play in the future." (April 23, 2004)
So, as a devoted fan, I hope she gets that chance as well!



The wardrobe in The Duchess is so precise and exquisite, one is thrust into envy. Her wigs are at times hilarious, but that's what it was all about in those days, over the top.



This one was my favorite.



It's the infamous story of the scandalous life of the Duchess of Devonshire. She was the icon of fashion, designing all of her clothes, and was very active in politics. This was completely opposite to the Duke, played by Ralph Fiennes, who plays the most disgusting, horrific man in France.



I was positive he would be this way even before I saw the film. You see, it's not that I don't like Ralph, he's a great actor. It's just all I see when I look at him is Francis Dolarhyde aka: Red Dragon. Now, I am an avid Hannibal fan, so for some reason, my admiration for Anthony Hopkins enables me to tolerate his cannibalistic roles, but Ralph Fiennes hit a nerve. That face and that voice just gives me the creeps! I mean look at him! How can one not be disturbed?



Overall, it's a good film, even though these types don't ever end the way you want them to. So, if you are fan of flamboyant wealth and secret loves, then you'd better rent this. Tonight.






No comments:

Post a Comment