Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sharks, Pencils, and Ben Affleck

Ok, so this show (NBC's Community)looked like it had some potential, and I gave it a chance.



The Pilot was an overall dud.

There were, however, a few redeeming lines such as:

"We're the only species on Earth that observes Shark Week. Sharks don't even observe Shark Week...but we do. For the same reason I can pick up this pencil and tell you its name is Steve and go like this - (breaks pencil, Abed lets out a little gasp) - and part of you dies, just a little bit on the outside. Because people can connect with anything. We can sympathize with a pencil, we can forgive a shark, and we can give Ben Affleck an Academy Award for screenwriting. People can find the good in just about anything but themselves..........
- I want you to look to the person sitting next to you. I want you to extend to that person the same compassion you extend to sharks, pencils and Ben Affleck."

You see? There are moments, short, witty moments of fresh new writing.

And I'm compelled to give this a second chance.


So, then came episode two.

It was even worse.

The whole relationship thing between Jeff and Brita was so lame.

And just not worth the time.



And it doesn't help that Jeff ( Joel McHale ) is an unknown to anyone who didn't watch The Soup regularly or spot him in a random Fugitive episode. So there's no pull to stick with it.


Even Chevy Chase let me down.



I don't know if it's the writing, his disturbing character, or just that he's finally getting old.

Not that old is bad, I'm just not used to "Boyishly Light" Chase yet.


The only ounce of entertainment I could gather from the second episode was this:

watch this

*side note* Maybe another reason I'm not diggin' this show, is because it's hitting a little too close to my current situation. Yes. I go to a dangerously small town Community College. And to make it even worse. I'm taking the same Spanish class as the characters, yep. Same book.

EPISODE 3

All this did for me was make me fall in love with Abed's character, played by Danny Pudi.

He's awesome. I can't really put to words what he is, other than I just like it.



So. I tried. one last time.

Episode 4

And you know what? 4th time was the charm for me.

It was funny, I could relate to lots of things, and I laughed a bunch of times.

especially at this.

So. I guess I'm recommending it. But. only if you watch episode 4 first. It won't really mess with the plot, because, seriously. It's about life at a Community college. What's there to miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment